Monday, September 22, 2008

Who thought I was gonna get skinny?















Food, food, food, and more food. It is everywhere. Indians show their love through food and spoil guests with trays of spicy snacks, cookies, crackers, sweets, and more. After firing down a thousand cups of hot chai along with your goodies, expect more food.

Indians also love talking about food. The first three questions you will hear in India (after the notorious "Are you married?" followed by "Why not?") are:

1. Have you had your breakfast?
2. Have you had your lunch?
3. Have you had your dinner?

Now, despite their own food fetish, Indians looove discussing my body type. So after treating me to a dish of salty and spicy grub, I am also served a side of unexpected commentary. My Indian homies often tell me that I could reduce, how cute and plump I am, that my outfit isn't suiting me, and that I look quite fat in that. Ah! The truth hurts! The miles of material I wear everyday doesn't help my figure. Oh, What to do!

4 comments:

Sharon said...

So coming from a food loving family like ours, this is not a stretch for you right? Don't you just love a culture that's all about the food? Dad would be in heaven, lol! Whatever that gizmo is that cooks? the tortilla things looks interesting as does the rest of the food. That's too funny how they tell you how cute and plump you are (cute, yes but plump?...I don't think so). Good thing my chubby butt isn't over there ~ could you imagine? They'd never stop talking about it...especially in those flattering outfits!!
By the way, you need to add #4 to that list of questions...Have you had your tea? Hahaha Love and miss you lots!!

Sharon said...

Oh and the picture of the school kids with their lunches...CUTE, CUTE, CUTE! Also the bottom left picture (group), love that turquoise blue blouse she has on ~ beautiful! Now that's flattering!

Chris said...

Well now, I guess when "it's family" it's a "No Holds Barred" they tell it like they see it. Of course I see such a beautiful young woman (yes Mom from a food loving family)absolutely "savoring" every second of this amazing expierence. Oh the memories you will have forever!

Anonymous said...

All that food looks so good right now. I'm in Mrs. Probst's class right now... I'm hungry looking at these pictures ha-ha.